Nevada Department of Health and Humans Services’ Aging and Disability Services Division (ADSD) Administrator Dena Schmidt today announced volunteers for the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) Medicare benefits programs have been awarded the President’s Volunteer Service Award from the National Community Service organization.
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides unbiased, free Medicare assistance to Medicare beneficiaries and their families statewide. This year, benefits counselors and volunteers providing administrative support statewide received the awards. “The SHIP volunteer workforce is remarkable and we are excited to acknowledge both their dedication to Medicare beneficiaries but also the critical community service provided by this amazing group of volunteers,” said Schmidt
“Throughout the year, volunteers from Nevada SHIP receive certification training through Aging and Disability Services Division so they may provide Medicare counseling to best utilize the beneficiaries’ healthcare benefits,” said Wanda Brown, Nevada SHIP Director. “Their passion, understanding and dedication to the beneficiaries in Nevada is unwavering.”
Volunteers serving Carson City and surrounding areas are:
- Bronze level award pins (100-250 hours): Dorothy Wisner, Kathy Taylor, Bob Beveridge, Michael Jones
- Silver level award pins (250-499 hours): Maureen Collins, Renate Daniels, and Lola Micetich
Volunteers serving Washoe County are:
· Bronze level award pins (100-250 hours): Judy Harris, Julie Vossler, Roger Holliday and Brad Kaune
· Silver level award pins (250-499 hours): Ron, Errico, Hilda Parra and Kathy Seelbac
Volunteers serving Las Vegas and surrounding areas are:
· Bronze level award pins (100-250 hours): Wallace Henkelman, Robert Williams, Debbie Letts, Christine Hansen, Timotea Cruz, Randa Stice, Aven Lindsey, Darlene Davis, Diane Bradley, Audrey Uchill, Judy Pierce, Norm Rosenfeld, Martha Myricks, Michael Lee, Amy Roessner, Sandy Jennings, Julia Pizzi, Richard Harrison and Julia Young
· Silver level award pins (250-499 hours): Leslie Cary
· Gold level award pins (500+ hours): Jim Kuehl, Tom MacPherson
The President’s Volunteer Service Award is the premier volunteer awards program, encouraging citizens to live a life of service through presidential gratitude and national recognition. The award recipients met this criterion and were recognized among their peers at a bi-monthly update meeting at Access to Healthcare Network, the host organization for Nevada SHIP in Northern Nevada and in Las Vegas at an ADSD office volunteer program recognition event.
SHIP is a national federally funded program. The program was originally established to address confusion caused by the increase in choices offered by Medicare. Nevada SHIP is comprised of dedicated volunteers and partners committed to receiving Medicare training and updates to help Nevada’s Medicare population all year long.
For additional information on ADSD, please link to: http://adsd.nv.gov